This is going to sound ridiculously simple, almost evasive, but bear with me. I believe that the most simple alternative to violent parenting is also the most profound, most powerful - and the foundation for all of the others that I will look at: Just Don't Spank! The Faithful Rejection of Violence is the Practical Foundation of Non-violence As I noted when discussing the role of fear in acts of violence, it is a loss of nerve and failure of imagination that leads us to see no other way out than resorting to violence. This is as true in parenting as it is in personal and international conflict. This was brought home to me when I saw that the most common response to my rejection of spanking was almost identical to the most common response to an assertion of pacifism:
"But, what would you do if...Read more...
- Hitler had invaded England?
- Little Jonny just won't go to sleep?
- Someone invaded your home and threatened your family?
- Your children were completely out of control?
- Your daughter was biting your wife?